RAK2171 WisNode TrackIt is a LoRaWAN GPS tracking device. It comes in a small form factor with a rechargeable battery and tracking and configuration application. Its application is available for iOS and Android devices.
RAK2171 supports multiple working modes and notification options. When used with RAK WisGate Edge Gateways and P2P mode, you can monitor your tracker on the application map, create geofences, and receive SOS and movement notifications. You can also configure the WisNode TrackIt to work with any third-party LoRaWAN network using the TrackIt application as a configuration tool.
- MT2523 with built-in Bluetooth and GPS
- SX1262 LoRa chip
- Built-in accelerometer
- Built-in battery: 400 mAh
- Charger with a magnetic plate
- Small size: 42x42x18 mm
- Low weight: 25 g
- Operating temperature: -20 °C to +60 °C
- IP65 rating
- Android and iOS application for easy management, configuration, and location tracking
WisNode TrackIt Helium Integration
Before going through each and every step in connecting RAK2171 to Helium, it is recommended to check first the Quick Start Guide.
This guide shows how to register the TrackIt device in the Helium console and make integration to Datacake, where you can use the dashboard to view the data in a more user-friendly way.
Before you dive into registering the device in the Helium console and creating the Datacake integration, you need to set the device to work in Third-Party LoRaWAN Network Server (LNS) Mode.
Register the TrackIt Node in the Helium Console
- Login to your Helium console account. If you do not have one, head to the web page and create one. Once you are logged in, you will see the Welcome window.
- In the menu on the left side of the console, select Devices and click the Add new device button to register your device.
- In the Name field, type the preferred name of your device.
- You can see that the Helium console generates random Dev EUI, App EUI, and App Key. Since the TrackIt keys cannot be changed, you need to type your keys in the fields. These keys are found in the TrackIt application in the LoRaWAN Working Mode (Third Party NS).
Optionally, you can select a Profile and Attach a Label. For this tutorial, they will be skipped. Note that Profiles and Labels can be added after the device is registered.
After typing in the required keys, click Save Device, and you will see the registered device. As mentioned by the console, the initial join process takes about 20 minutes for the device to join, so be patient.
Create Datacake Integration
- While the device is joining, you can create the integration. Select Integrations from the menu in the left panel.
- To create an integration, click on the Add New Integration button. A list of the available integrations will appear. As for this guide, click Datacake. For further information, refer to the Integrations documentation.
- On the next page, you will need a Datacake Token. To generate one, you will need a Datacake account. If you don't have an account yet, you can create one on Datacake's website.
- After logging in to your Datacake account, click your profile and select Edit Profile.
- In the API tab, you will find your API token. Copy and paste it into the Enter Datacake Token field in the Helium console.
- When you place the token, type a name of your choice for the integration and click Add Integration to continue.
Connection Between Helium and Datacake
- Now that the device is registered and the integration is created, you will need to make a connection between Helium and Datacake. Click Flows on the left menu.
- Click the + icon in the Nodes area. A window will pop up with four menus – Labels, Devices, Functions, and Integrations. Click Devices, and you will see your registered device.
- Now, click your registered device, then drag and drop it on the blank page.
- Do the same with the created integration. Click the Integrations menu, then drag and drop it.
Datacake Device Resignation
- You need to add the device to the Datacake console. Head to the Devices tab and click the + Add Device button.
- Datacake has ready-to-use TrackIt template. To add the device, click LoRaWAN and then Next.
- On the next window, in the Search field, type TrackIt and choose the Device Template. Then click Next.
- On the next page, choose Helium for Network server and click Next.
- On the next page, type the Dev EUI and the Name of your device. You can add more than one
device. You can also drag and drop a
.csvfile, and it automatically adds multiple devices at once. Then click Next.
- Finally, choose a plan. For this example, choose the Free one. Click Add 1 device to finish.
- Now, your device is registered in Datacake.
- You can click the name of your device and check the Dashboard.
Everything in the Dashboard is pre-configured (fields, decoder, widgets), and it is ready to use.