RAK Hotspot Miner was the first third-party Hotspot on The People's Network.
This RAK Hotspot Miner is customized function exactly like a Helium Hotspot but with a different look and feel. Everything else about a RAK Hotspot Miner from its earning capabilities, coverage creation, and more, are the same or very similar to a Helium Hotspot. To get started, make sure you have the Helium App downloaded to your mobile device. A minimum version of app version 2.5.0 is required for iOS (iOS version 13 and above) and Android (OS 8 and above).
Once you have the app downloaded and a wallet created, unbox the RAK Hotspot Miner and get ready!
- In the Helium App, go to Hotspots and press +.
- Select the RAK Hotspot Miner when asked what you'd like to add to the network.
- Continue the onboarding flow. Make sure you select a good place for the Hotspot so it has a clear view of the sky! Obstructions and hidden Hotspots drastically impede earnings and coverage.
- Plug in the RAK Hotspot Miner to power it on. A small red light will appear when it's powered on.
- Once powered on, the RAK Hotspot Miner will be discoverable for 5 (five) minutes. This is when you can pair with the Hotspot with your mobile app. It may take up to a minute for the RAK Hotspot Miner to completely boot up with Bluetooth. Note that there is no blue light from the RAK Hotspot Miner to indicate it's in pairing mode.
- The Hotspot Miner will appear in the list. Select the Hotspot to continue.
- Next you'll see an Add Hotspot screen. The cost to add a RAK Hotspot Miner is free. If this is not the case, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Add the Hotspot.
- Confirm Hotspot Location. The cost to set a location for a RAK Hotspot Miner is free for two locations. If you are not ready to set a location, you can do so later by pressing Skip for now. If you do not see fee-free location, please contact email@example.com. Press Continue.
- And that's it! The Hotspot is now being added to the Network. Because this is a blockchain, your Hotspot may take a few minutes to appear in the app.
- View and manage your Hotspot in the Hotspots tab of the mobile app.
Unable to scan Wi-Fi networks
Try moving the miner and yourself closer to the Wi-Fi router for initial synchronization. Using Ethernet for internet is another good option.
Asked to pay Data Credits (DC) to add a Hotspot
If this happens, it's best to leave the screen and come back to it in 5 minutes. The Hotspot Miner needs a few minutes to boot up and connect to the servers to check its authenticity. If this continues to happen, please reach out to Helium Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.