If by chance you run into problems when adding a Hotspot to your account, here are some basic troubleshooting tips to try out:
I plugged in the Hotspot, but no lights came on:
- It may seem silly, but trying the plug in a different outlet (ideally on a separate circuit) can help eliminate the possibility of a blown circuit as the culprit.
- If you have more than one Hotspot, or an additional 5V 3A power adapter laying around, trying a different power cord can help identify if it's a bad power supply or if something else is the issue. Please do not try any power adapter (always confirm it is 5V 3A) or else you will short-circuit the Hotspot which is irreparable.
- If the power outlet and cord do not seem to be the issue, try plugging in the Hotspot and leaving it plugged in for 2 minutes. Then check back to see if any lights are on.
If there's no lights or activity after these steps, please contact the Hotspot manufacturer. Note that Helium is only able to RMA Hotspots that are under warranty and purchased directly through Helium.com
I can't Pair the Hotspot with the App:
- Double check that the phone's Bluetooth settings are enabled. Once enabled, return to the app to try pairing again. Be sure to press and hold the Pairing button for at least 3 seconds, then release.
- Make sure that the app has the Location permissions enabled. These can be found under App Info > Permissions > Location
- Make sure you have the latest version of the app from the app store.
- Try power-cycling the Hotspot by unplugging it, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging it back in. Force close and reopen the app, then attempt to Pair again. If you still have trouble after trying these things, please email your Hotspot manufacturer. It's helpful to include the Hotspots name and what color the light on the Hotspot is.
- Try downloading the Helium Hotspot Utility app from the app store, and see if you can pair with that. This can help determine if there’s a potential issue with the regular Helium app.
I can Pair, but I can't add my location:
Similarly to above, double check that the phones Bluetooth settings are enabled. Once enabled, return to the app to try pairing again.
• Make sure that the app has the Location permissions enabled. These can be found under App Info > Permissions > Location • Make sure you have the latest version of the app from the app store. • Try power-cycling the Hotspot by unplugging it, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging it back in. After it fully reboots (can take a minute or two) Then attempt to Pair again. For RAK miners, they are in pairing mode for the first 5 minutes after fully booting. • Try completely closing and reopening the app.
If you still have trouble and are able to run the diagnostics, please send a report
to the Hotspot manufacturer. Please include a video of your screen if possible, to
show the exact steps.
iOS 11 or later: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935 (Android may require a separate app for screenshots.)
I tried to add the Hotspot, but it says it’s owned by someone else:
This means the Hotspot has already been added to the blockchain and is already associated with a wallet. You may see this if you purchased a Hotspot from a non-authorized reseller, or if you are part of a Hosting program where you host the Hotspot for someone else.
If you signed up to be a host, you would need to contact the entity you signed up through for any information regarding your arrangement or rewards, as Helium is not involved.