There is a
#validator Discord channel available to reach other validator participants. Also use this channel to share feedback and report issues.
console.log is always helpful to get an idea of what's going on. Assuming your data is mounted at
tail -f ~/validator_data/log/console.log
This can be run directly on the Docker container as well:
docker exec validator tail -f /var/data/log/console.log
If you find that the server has been compromised just wipe it (save the blocks to avoid having to resync the entire blockchain), close the hole, stand up a new validator and then transfer the stake to it.
Syncing to the blockchain
Syncing to the blockchain could be impacted for the following reasons:
- slow internet connection
- your validator is disconnecting
- you just launched an AMI instance (if using AWS)
Validator stuck at a block
If your validator appears to be stuck at a particular block and no longer syncing, you may need to take manual action for your validator to make progress.
- Reset the validator. You can reference this testnet step for commands.
Performance and DKG Penalties
If you aren't yet familiar with the penalty system, check out Validator Penalties and Impact on Rewards.
Low-grade Performance and DKG penalties are very noisy and difficult to troubleshoot.
Based on early data, it appears that if your validator has penalties where the sum (Performance + DKG) is less than (Tenure), your validator is performant in-line with expectations.
The most common cause of Perf/DKG penalties is bad luck (due to bad peers or otherwise).
A few other penalty root causes exist, each requiring detailed monitoring capabilities to troubleshoot.
For the time/blocks when your validator accrued penalties, check your metrics dashboard (e.g., Grafana)
- CPU steal: was this spiking when you were in the CG? Is this at an elevated level generally (<1% is normal)? If regularly high, change hosting providers.
- Internet connectivity issues: did rate of network ingress / egress plateau or fall off while in consensus group? Check if your network usage is throttled.
- Slow disk write speeds: do your disk write speeds exceed 4ms/op (not a fixed line, just a level where "you could get dinged")? See if you can improve disk quality.
- Other metrics: memory usage, disk volume, disk i/o, write latency
If you don't have a metrics dashboard and think a non-luck element may have caused your penalty, please set up metrics monitoring.
One option is Tedder's miner_exporter, which can be used in conjunction with Grafana (and Prometheus's built-in node_exporter) for detailed validator monitoring.